AI-driven infrastructure provider Juniper Networks has announced the first phase of Telefónica UK’s successful services migration to the Telefónica UK Fusión Network. The project with Telefónica UK combines legacy networks into a single, new IP and optical network that is more efficient, flexible and automated, paving the way for the rollout of Telefónica UK’s 5G services.
Juniper Networks and Telefónica designed the Fusión Network to transform the customer experience for mobile, residential and business services globally. The initiative has previously been implemented by the Telefónica Group in other regions around the world, and has evolved over the years, including a recent upgrade in Spain to support the evolution to 5G.
To accomplish the evolution of its Fusión Network, Telefónica UK is investing in a range of Juniper solutions. These include:
- Juniper Networks® PTX Series Packet Transport Routers (PTX10008), MX Series 5G Universal Routing Platform (MX2008, MX2010 and MX2020)
- Junos Fusion Edge, Junos Node Slicing virtualisation and Juniper’s Automation Framework
- Professional Services from Juniper Networks to support the migration of the existing networks, as well as installation and maintenance.
The deployment is expected to provide a range of benefits to Telefónica UK, focused on:
- Reducing complexity of the network, delivering increased flexibility and efficiency in the management of the infrastructure and the creation of new services
- Simplified operations and more agile service delivery, enabling the company to provide shorter time-to-market for new services, such as IoT, to customers
- Enhanced security to meet growing user expectations on network uptime and a widening threat landscape, including providing enhanced visibility to ensure regulatory compliance and customer data protection.
“As we prepare for our 5G rollout from October 2019 with the end goal of building a 5G economy in coalition with British industry, we need a network infrastructure that benefits customers from the outset, with better speeds, intelligent security and improved user experience,” explained Brendan O’Reilly, CTO, Telefónica UK (pictured). “This requires a network that is sophisticated, but also simpler to deploy, operate and maintain, which is why we chose Juniper as our strategic IP network provider. This overhaul of our network provides the flexibility, scalability and performance to meet those demands.”
“As one of the major service providers in the UK, Telefónica UK is a true trailblazer of cutting-edge network technology. Juniper has a long and proud history of working with Telefónica globally, and being chosen as Telefónica’s strategic IP network provider in the UK to deliver a 5G-ready network reflects the depth of that partnership,” added Manoj Leelanivas, chief product officer, Juniper Networks.
For more information, visit www.juniper.net