Powerful optical technology and Blue Planet software drive network automation.
At this year’s SC17, taking place this week, November 12-17, at the Colorado Convention Center in Denver, attendees will have an opportunity to see first-hand how Ciena is applying machine learning and advanced software analytics to network operations. With these innovations, operators can benefit from a network that is not only scalable but also able to autonomously adapt and respond to handle surging and unpredictable demands.
Research collaboration demonstrations
* Supporting High-Performance Network Infrastructure Virtualization: Developed collaboratively between Ciena and the pan-European Research Network GâANT, this demo showed the dynamic allocation of high-performance user-defined virtual network environments provisioned across Ciena’s OPN OPn Research Network infrastructure (CENI)facilitating dataflows of up to 100 Gbps.
* Network Analytics with Machine Learning Orchestration: A fully operational live network shown with small and large data flows. Using Ciena-developed network machine learning algorithms that study and anticipate traffic fluctuations, along with Blue Planet Multi-Domain Service Orchestration (MDSO), the network will self-adjust to preserve operational commitments.
* Secure Autonomous Response Networks (SARNET): In collaboration with the Dutch Research Foundation, University of Amsterdam and other partners, a new interactive demo showed how Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) can help alleviate cyber-attacks and program networks to provide enhanced cyber-terror detection and defense across multiple domains and complex architectures.
* Making Software-defined Autonomous Networks a Reality: Leveraging Blue Planet Manage, Control and Plan (MCP) and WaveLogic Ai, the Liquid Spectrum Apps provide real-time margin and loss measurements so that excess margin can turn into needed capacity. This demonstration showed how operators can tune, control, and dynamically extract the most value out of existing network investments.
* Blue Planet Multi-Domain Service Orchestration: This demo illustrated how gathering massive amounts of data from a network can be turned into actionable decisions using machine learning and big data analytics.
* Distributed Network Function Virtualization (D-NFV): Illustrating Ciena’s approach to the evolution of the network’s edge, this demo included Blue Planet Multi-Domain Orchestration, Ciena D-NFVI Software, and Ciena’s 3906mvi vCPE equipped with an x86 server module that hosts third party Virtual Network Functions (VNF).
* Emulation Cloud: Accelerate Innovation: Attendees saw power of Ciena’s Emulation Cloud open application environment that enables customers to access Ciena’s hardware and software product-based APIs to create, test and fine-tune their customized applications.
SC17 is the international conference showcasing the many ways high performance computing, networking, storage and analysis leads to advances in scientific discovery, research, education and commerce.
The annual event, created and sponsored by ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) and the IEEE Computer Society, attracts HPC professionals and educators from around the globe to participate in its complete technical education program, workshops, a world-class exhibit area, demonstrations and opportunities for hands-on learning.